Sometimes clients need more than the usual recruitment services – they need a specialist to work with them for a predetermined period of time to help meet their recruitment/manpower objectives. Recruiting for specialist skills in high numbers over a short period of time can be difficult and incredibly costly and time consuming. Work Matters has undertaken a number of partnership projects helping their clients to overcome these difficulties.
Partnership Project Case Study
Our client was a 4 year old expanding business with a head office in the North East and an additional 21 offices nationwide. As a supplier of specialist compliance services to the construction industry it had a requirement to recruit 16-18 additional staff in a 12 month period in order to achieve projected growth and delivery objectives. Their job descriptions were very role specific with applicants needing to possess key qualifications, experience and ideally chartered status. The skill set was easily identifiable but difficult to recruit due to an increasing demand in the construction sector and a shortage of experienced and qualified candidates. The client previously attracted candidates through advertising on their website and in quarterly trade journals. This was supplemented by the occasional recruitment of candidates introduced by employment agencies. Upon reviewing their recruitment practices they found their approach was time consuming in terms of using staff to source and interview applicants (many of whom were unsuitable) in addition to finding it difficult to identify the right skills in the right location at the right time.
We were invited to discuss the possibility of working together to devise a more structured and comprehensive resource strategy. After meeting the Directors we submitted a proposal to work with our client on a retained and exclusive basis which was accepted and implemented. Our proposal contained a commitment to recruit 17 staff in a 12 month period by:
- Building a candidate database of suitably qualified individuals nationwide using LinkedIn, company websites and previous job applicants.
- Placing approved adverts in agreed Trade journals and receiving and storing details of applicants.
- Advertising vacancies on multiple jobs boards and managing jobs on company website to ensure consistency in adverts and information in the marketplace.
- Headhunting suitable applicants identified on database in predetermined locations.
- Utilising market knowledge to identify and target individuals who may consider alternative employment opportunities.
- Carrying out comprehensive telephone interviews with potential applicants and submitting comprehensive notes.
- Meeting with Directors monthly to discuss progress, identify target areas and plan activities for forthcoming period.
Number of Employees
Start of Contract
12 Months Later
No. of offices nationwide
Start of Contract
12 Months Later
No. of staff successfully recruited by Work Matters
Having over delivered our key objective of staff numbers we have also:
- Worked with the business to consistently review recruitment process by making recommendations for consideration and providing feedback from applicants.
- Supplied up to date market information about industry salaries, packages and sharing knowledge about competitors.
- Appointed a dedicated Account Manager at Work Matters who has a full understanding of their business and its requirements.
- Highlighted the importance of succession planning and skills shortages and developed contacts with 12 Universities to source candidates for approved Graduate programme.
- Work Matter delivered through a retained and performance based costing structure delivered a very acceptable return , substantially lower than the bench marked industry average of 10-15% placements cost to business (we delivered much more for much less)
“This relationship has been built on the back of clear objectives, hard measures, clear communication, and the willingness of both parties being able to accept legitimate challenges. The focus, diligence and the ability of Work Matters to delight me, the client, has been excelled on every occasion.
As we enter our next phase of development the high quality placement of labour is critical to our ongoing success. I have no doubt Sarah and her team at Work Matters will be focused on their retention of work & delivery of the plan”