After China and the US, Cement is one of the biggest contributors to Carbon Emissions and that’s why Material Evolution exists. We’re challenging and disrupting the cement industry, and with a value of $500bn across the Globe we’re not underestimating the challenge.
Having recently raised £15m in Series A and with a new, purpose-built R&D facility being constructed in addition to a production facility in North Wales, there is already an amazing success story to tell. As a team of 23 highly motivated people with global ambitions, Material Evolution is already a company that is shifting the needle across the industry. Having discovered (and patented) a novel geopolymer cement that is both carbon-neutral and superior to existing cements by virtually every measurable standard we are taking this product to market by partnering with some of the world’s leading industrial materials companies.
As we continue to rapidly grow, we are looking for an experienced SHEQ Manager who will be responsible for the development, implementation, monitoring and review of the Company’s accredited Health, Safety & Environmental management systems. As our first hire in this space, this role presents a significant opportunity to shape our systems and strategy from the ground up.
About the role
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- Leading the Company in meeting its obligations under the “Health & Safety Act 1974” through the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of the company SHEQ management programme and systems. Helping to determine the strategic direction and work priorities in association with senior management.
- Advising senior management and assisting with the implementation of new or existing SHEQ-related legislation, rules and Company standards. This will incorporate health and safety awareness training, site inspections of company facilities and sub-contractors activities and processes.
- Advising on QA systems and processes in the processing/plant, contributing to the production of a consistent, quality product.
- Preparing and presenting monthly H&S and Quality Audits reporting on all findings promoting a culture of continuous improvement
- Developing a monthly SHEQ Communication Strategy for all sites and levels of staff, including written information, tool box talks and management briefs.
- Facilitating the production of all forms of Risk Assessments and Method Statements e.g. general, manual handling, COSHH, fire prevention. Acting as a final authority where a specialist response is required in relation to Risk Assessments performed by others on site.
- Investigating accidents, incidents and near misses, ensuring all investigations carried out are recorded and corrective action plans are implemented in a timely manner.
- Conducting occupational health and safety related surveys e.g. noise, lighting, exposure to chemical substances and making associated recommendations.
- Monitoring the Site “permit-to-work” system ensuring compliance with Company standards.
- In conjunction with operational management you will initiate and coordinate training plans ensuring accurate records are maintained.
If you’re passionate about joining a company with immense potential for environmental impact then read on, here’s what you’ll need to demonstrate:
- Excellent knowledge of H&S and Environmental legislation.
- Good working knowledge of COSHH legislation with exposure to chemical and manufacturing industries.
- Experience in the recovery or recycling of waste in terms of logistics and permits
- Ability to lead the SHEQ function in a manufacturing, pilot, and laboratory setting.
- Qualified to NEBOSH Diploma level
- Full driving license as there will be some cross-site working.
What you’ll get from us
- Progress. Learn and get promoted fast in line with our rapid growth plans;
- Away Days. Quarterly team offsites for some well-earned R+R;
- Flexible working, environment and hours. We’re outcome-focussed and we trust you to deliver;
- Time off. 25 days of paid time off per year;
- Technology. Whatever equipment you need to be successful in your mission;
- Extensive upskilling, learning and development opportunities.
Material Evolutions’ mission is to be the world’s largest producer of sustainable cementitious replacement materials. If you’re passionate about making a difference, we invite you to become part of this ground breaking journey with us.